The brief’s key findings are:
- Despite a strong stock market, the funded status of public plans in 2013 remained unchanged at 72 percent for two reasons:
- actuarially smoothed assets grew modestly; and
- CalPERS, one of the nation’s largest plans, significantly revised its reported funded ratio.
- An encouraging sign is that sponsors appear to be paying a larger share of their annual required contribution.
- Going forward, the funded ratio is projected to gradually move above 80 percent, assuming historical stock market returns.