An Update on Medicare’s Finances
The brief’s key findings are:
- The headline from the 2018 Trustees Report was an earlier depletion date for the Hospital Insurance (HI) trust fund, suggesting Medicare faces growing trouble.
- However, the trust fund reserves are small compared to HI expenditures, and the HI component only accounts for about a third of the Medicare system.
- In fact, Medicare’s outlook is considerably better than it was a decade ago, even under projections that assume policymakers curb some recent cost controls.
- Despite the improvement, Medicare does face financing challenges because it:
- has to operate within the very expensive U.S. health care system;
- requires beneficiaries to pay substantial out-of-pocket costs; and
- has some serious gaps in insurance protection.