What Is the Distribution of Lifetime Health Care Costs from Age 65?
The brief’s key findings are:
- Health care costs loom as a major risk for retirees, with nursing home care as the real wild card.
- A typical couple at age 65 can expect to spend over its remaining lifetime:
- $197,000 with a 5-percent risk of exceeding $311,000, excluding nursing home care; or
- $260,000 with a 5-percent risk of exceeding $570,000, including nursing home care.
- Households need to figure out how to handle such risk.