What Does It Cost To Guarantee Returns?
The brief’s key findings are:
- The financial crisis suggests the need for a new universal tier of retirement saving accounts to supplement Social Security and 401(k)s.
- To prevent large drops in asset values and fluctuations in replacement rates, policymakers might find it desirable to provide guarantees.
- But low guarantees would have had no effect historically.
- And finance theory says that high guarantees are prohibitively expensive.
- The only way to provide high guarantees is if the government were willing and able to bear more risk than other investors.