The brief’s key findings are:
- The ability to work longer can be hampered by skills that decline with age.
- Declining physical skills – such as diminished strength and flexibility – are easy to spot and often associated with blue-collar jobs.
- But white-collar jobs may also require abilities that decline with age, including cognitive and fine motor skills.
- The analysis created an index measuring the reliance on skills that decline with age for over 900 occupations.
- The results show that while blue-collar jobs are more vulnerable to eroding skills, some white-collar jobs are vulnerable too, which can lead to earlier retirements.